Good Shepherd School

Student wellbeing is vital for student success.  Children who are confident and happy and who feel safe and secure at school, are more likely to succeed and achieve.

Student wellbeing can be further understood from this definition:

"Student wellbeing is strongly linked to learning.  A student's level of wellbeing at school is indicated by their satisfaction with life at school, their engagement with learning and their social-emotional behaviour.  It is enhanced when evidence-informed practices are adopted by schools in partnership with families and community.  Optimal student wellbeing is a sustainable state, characterised by predominantly positive feelings and attitudes, positive relationships at school, resilience, self-optimism and a high level of satisfaction with learning experiences." (Nobel et al, 2008, p30).

In ERO's publication, Wellbeing for Success they have identified nine key concepts that are desired outcomes for student wellbeing.  Schools can use these indicators to evaluate the wellbeing of their students in their own school.  The nine concepts are: Belonging and connection, Achievement and success, Resilient, Physically active, Socially, emotionally competent, Nurtured and cared for, Safe and secure, Included, and Confident in their identity.

Good Shepherd conducts two surveys a year, usually in term two and term four. The survey is a series of statements which require the students to state their thoughts.

Here is a snapshot of the 2018 survey: