Good Shepherd School

Trips 

School trips and activities are included in the school fees. A range of activities and trips are organised during the year to support and enhance the delivery of our classroom programmes.

Parents give permission for students to attend trips outside the school by signing the "Permission for Excursions” on the Student Data Form each year. Where students travel away from the school, parents will be notified through the school newsletter or a separate letter; when the trip is occurring, the time children will leave and return to school and the mode of transport. Should a parent not wish their child to attend a particular trip they must contact the child’s teacher. We expect a high standard of behaviour from our children when they attend events outside of the school. This includes adhering to this Code of Conduct which students sign before departure. 

Swimming

All children are expected to participate in class swimming lessons as part of the Health and Physical Education Curriculum. Water confidence and water safety skills are the main emphasis of the school programme.

All students are required to wear bathing caps. A note is required if students cannot swim for health reasons. It is vital that students do not swim for two weeks following a bout of diarrhoea.

Keys to the swimming pool are available for the school community during the summer months. A notice will appear in the school newsletter in November or December advertising the availability of keys.

P.E. & Sport

For health reasons all children are asked to bring a t-shirt and shorts to change into for physical education and sport. It is compulsory for Years 4, 5 & 6 students to wear the school sports uniform. This can be purchased from the school uniform shop.

Music Lessons

Music lessons are available through the school with the Modern School of Music or St Peters College. These take place within school time (piano and guitar) or on Thursdays after school (other instruments).

Chess Club

Lessons with Chess Master Mr. McLaren (FIDE Master and 2022 NZ Senior Chess Champion). These are at lunch time on Monday per semester and cost is $50 per semester. There is an opportunity to sit official NZCF tests with those passing earning badges and certificates.